City of Springfield, Massachusetts
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Public Works Maintenance Man
at City of Springfield, Massachusetts
- Position Purpose/Summary
*Please note that this is a Civil Service position. This position is not currently open, should there become an opening we will hire off of the list of applicants starting with the oldest application date.*
APPLICATION FOR CITY OF SPRINGFIELD LABOR SERVICE
Applicants must be at least 16 years of age at the time of filing application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. The name of an applicant will remain on the Labor Service register for the job title which he or she is registered for a period of not more than 5 years from the date of registration, subject to a renewal of registration as provided in Section 28, Chapter 31 of the General Laws, and subject to compliance with other applicable provisions of the Civil Service law and rules.
This is routine manual laboring work performing miscellaneous semi-skilled tasks involving the maintenance of municipal public works. Work involves the performance of relatively routine manual laboring tasks requiring the exercise of considerable physical strength and endurance in public works maintenance including excavating, bracing, grading, spreading stone, and raking asphalt; assisting a craftsman on masonry work and in repairing and building manholes and catch basins; assisting in laying and adjusting storm drainage systems; caulking and sealing piping connections; surfacing, resurfacing and patching streets, sidewalks, parking areas and bridges. Supervision received may vary from close to moderately close depending upon the experience of the incumbent and the degree of variance from routine. No supervision is ordinarily exercised over other employees.
- Essential Functions
- Performs a variety of public works maintenance tasks involving streets and public ways, public works projects and the public works central yards.
- Excavates, braces, grades, spreads stones and fill materials, and rakes asphalt.
- Assists in masonry work and in repairing and building manholes and catch basins.
- Assists in laying and adjusting storm drainage systems; caulks and seals piping connections.
- Surfaces, resurfaces and patches streets, sidewalks, parking areas, public ways and bridges.
- Operates light motor equipment and power tools in connection with public works maintenance duties.
- Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of the repair and maintenance and installation of a variety of municipal public works, including streets, storm drainage systems, and related municipal public works structures.
- Working knowledge of practical public works maintenance work, including excavating, bracing, raking asphalt, patching streets, side walks and public ways.
- Working knowledge of the tools, equipment and materials commonly used in municipal public works maintenance work.
- Ability to perform manual laboring tasks for extended periods, frequently under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Education and Experience
- Graduation from a standard high school or trade school.
- Experience in performing heavy manual laboring work and public works maintenance work